• "Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students."
The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Grateful Living

Mr. Harvey with his son, Sebastian.

Whether you’ve had the pleasure of having a class with Mr. Harvey or have gotten an enthusiastic,“Hi!” in the halls. Mr. Harvey’s excitement and love for what he does has been felt throughout our school. What really makes Mr. Harvey so impactful? To figure this out, we asked a student who has had him for most of high school, senior Shawn Clancy. Then to go deeper in to what makes Mr. Harvey such a great person and possibly get tips to be a better person, we  interviewed Mr. Harvey himself.

First, to get some background information on what Mr. Harvey does so well as a teacher we asked Shawn on what it’s like to have him as a teacher?

“Mr. Harvey has always been helpful to me since I was a freshman. He has helped me get through all of my assignments and makes sure I’m on top of everything. He shows that he cares about my career with constant check-ins.”  

Not many teachers are seen doing that, which is one of the reasons why students are grateful for Mr. Harvey. Another key quality is that he spends time getting to know his students, who they are and what they struggle with. This is something most teachers with special education degrees should focus on. 

“He doesn’t view students who have bad grades as a “bad” student; he focuses on helping them and getting them back on track.” Clancy mentioned. Mr. Harvey’s main goal is to make sure his students are successful and prepared for the future. 

After interviewing Shawn, we decided to talk to Mr. Harvey about his past years of when he was a high school and then college student. He mentioned that he struggled with dyslexia as a kid and that made learning difficult for him. 

“Teachers often criticized me as a student; I would be called dumb, stupid, slow and many more names. Learning challenges weren’t as known in the 90s as they are now which is why I wanted to become a teacher.” Harvey said. 

Through Mr. Harvey’s struggles with his education he decided to become a teacher. He wanted to be able to help kids with learning disabilities as he also stated, “I didn’t want kids to struggle the way that I did.”

Mr. Harvey always seems to be happy and excited to be where he is at any moment. So, we wanted to know what morals he lives by to keep a smile constantly on his face and always stay kind. He stated, “I have simplified my life to three principals. Rule number one is be kind to self and others. I find that when I’m kind to somebody else I’m immediately filled with happiness. Rule number two is to be grateful when I feel overwhelmed or anxious. I think about what I’m grateful for and I’m grateful that I’m a functioning human being. I’m grateful I have a job. I’m grateful that I’m warm and fed. I’m grateful I work with people I like and I’m grateful that my children are healthy. It’s very centering when things become overwhelming. Rule number three is be flexible. Life is always changing and you need to be able to adapt. It helps me in moments of uncertainty that you just have to be able to say, okay I can deal with that and just adapt.”

He believes that his rules to live by could help students who may struggle with anxiety or depression. This is something students struggle with today more so since the COVID-19 pandemic. When it comes to special education teachers, they should also be specialized in mental health. Students with learning disabilities sometimes struggle with mental health issues.

Our final question was what his goals for the future are? He replied with, “My goals for the future revolve around my children. I’m about to have my daughter move into high school. My goal for her is to encourage a positive high school experience for her, while her father’s in the building. Also, my son is coming into middle school. My goal is that he is able to adjust really well.”  We thought this was a very thoughtful thing for him to say. It shows how Mr. Harvey cares for the people in his life. He is thinking how to be there for them while also letting them grow on their own. For his goals he said, “I would like to be less reactionary.” Even he realizes he can work on listening and understanding before passing judgement.  

After interviewing Mr. Harvey and his long-time student, we have come to the conclusion that he is someone that many students look up to. Maybe becoming a person like him, not a teacher necessarily, but someone who is so grateful and so kind that everyone else around them can feel their positive influence is a good thing. Remember, Mr. Harvey had to overcome struggles of his own. Even though now as teenagers you might feel beaten down or broken, things can change. Like Mr. Harvey shows, change doesn’t always come from waiting. You have to do something to make the changes you want to see in yourself. We are lucky to have Mr. Harvey. His rules and philosophies are certainly words to live by. We admire Mr. Harvey for his kindness and willingness to help others.