Rotary Youth Exchange

What is a rotary youth exchange? Is an exchange right for me? How much does it cost? How do I apply? Can I host an exchange student?

Introduction

First let’s start with a little background about the program itself.  Every year about 8000 students go on rotary youth exchange around the world. By sharing your own culture and learning about different ones, rotary youth exchange students help foster global understanding. Furthermore one great part of the program is that you get to choose your own preferred countries.

Is an exchange right for me?

The only physical requirement to go on rotary youth exchange is to be between the ages of 15 and 19. However, it is essential that students are ready to be independent and ready to serve as an ambassador for their country. But before any of these, the most important thing is to sit down with your family and decide if you and your family are ready for the exchange.

How much does it cost?

The most common question when talking about exchange programs is the financial cost. This is where the Rotary Youth Exchange truly shines in my opinion; the program is very inexpensive compared to other exchange programs out there. The hosting rotary club gives the student monthly allowance and takes care of school fees. The student is in charge of paying for his own plane ticket and any trips that he may want to go on. An example of one of these trips would be the US West Coast trip where students are offered an optional trip that costs about $2000 and takes you along the West Coast.

How do I apply?

The process varies slightly from country to country but to register in Ipswich the first step is to contact Martha Mauser who is the rotary youth exchange outbound officer for Ipswich. She meets with you and your family and explains the program. The next step is filling out the application and getting ready for the final step which is an interview in November where it’s determined if the student will be accepted into the program.

Can I host an exchange an exchange student?

Hosting an exchange student can be a wonderful experience for your family, giving you an international experience without having the need to leave home. Your responsibilities as a host family would be to provide the student a room.