Runway Ready

Then junior Alexis Lopez poses for a picture with Dominic Mastrangelo at last years fashion show.

Joey Spinale

The stage is set for members of the Class of 2014 to walk the runway on Monday, November 4, 2013. The event will take place at the Ipswich Country Club.

The senior class fashion show is a fundraiser that has been going on for many years. It includes a silent auction as well as the fashion show. It is known to be the biggest fundraiser that the class will do. This is because of the two parts that make up the fashion show. This year Denise Mootafian, a parent of a member of the class of 2014, is in charge of the fashion show. The class advisers said “The money from the fashion show will go towards the cost of many things such as Senior Week activities as well as the cost of the chairs and stage for graduation.” They also stated that the attraction to the fashion show was the models themselves.

When asked why she thought it was such a success, senior Alexis Lopez said “The fashion show is  a success because the seniors get involved in it. People want to see the students have fun and do something they don’t usually do.” Alexis also said that she was most excited to model both of her stores, but more the formal wear from The Ultimate.

Formal wear is the part of the fashion show that every student loves and hopes for. Formal wear is the most exciting to model because it’s not every day that you get to wear a fancy dress or a tuxedo and walk in front of your friends and family.

Some of the stores that are involved in the fashion show this year include Gifts 4 Soul, Giblees, The Ultimate, TJ Maxx, Marshals, Ann Taylor, Bobble & Amp, Lace, and Old Navy. The list also includes some small businesses as well as some big name stores from the area. The parent volunteers are in charge of a different store, and they help transport students, coordinate with the stores, and make sure the fittings are scheduled and set to go.

This year,  for the auction,  the option for students to volunteer services has been added. These services can include tutoring, music lessons, sport lessons, yard work, or anything else that can help the community. This option was created by Mrs. Mootafian as a way to change up the fashion show and add in something different and valuable to the community. It has created a new interest in the fashion show because this has never been done before.

VIP tickets were added this year to the show.  With the VIP tickets, you pay $45.00 and get priority seating between 7:00 and 7:15. The admission to the silent auction is included in both tickets. The only difference is the preferred seating and a price difference of $10.00.

The fashion show is a staple of Ipswich High School. It is a well-known senior event because of the excitement it creates in the community. For the seniors, it’s something they have been waiting to participate in for four years. For the juniors, they are excited to see their friends that are in the show and see what they will be doing the year after. As for the underclassmen, it is something for them to think about and be excited to do when it is their time to be seniors. Without the fashion show, the students would have to do a lot more fundraising. The fashion show is what usually provides financial stability for the class so the class can do what they want during Senior Week.