Our Final Goodbye

Jason Finkst

Finals is almost here, and seniors are almost out. Senior Week is around the corner and it is the last time the Class of 2019 will be together before saying their final goodbyes at Graduation. Senior Week is one of the biggest events seniors look forward to from the start of the year. This year is a full, fun-packed week and the perfect way to end an amazing high school journey together.  It will be a time to celebrate our accomplishments and capture every last moment we have with one another. Senior Maddie Wilson put it best; “I think that it’s going to be sad to see everyone go, but it’s the best way to say goodbye. It’s a great week to end it all.”

The week starts with a nice relaxed Monday that gives the seniors a day off to do whatever they want to. With the luck of perfect weather almost the entire senior class will flock to the beach and find themselves getting ice cream after. The majority Ipswich High School student staff at Dairy Queen or White Farms will be more than happy to serve the crowd of seniors.

The week continues with a packed Tuesday from the High School to the Boston Harbor. We will start our day getting our Yearbooks and having a Senior Cookout outside the school. The students hope that Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Carovillano will bring out their spatulas and start flipping on the grill. Seniors will have a nice day eating great food and throwing around the frisbee or football or just taking in the relaxing setup. Tuesday night, the seniors will enjoy a night on Boston Harbor with a Dinner Cruise. Students will clean up nicely to eat, dance, and enjoy the city night light views. The Boston Dinner Cruise is one of the biggest and oldest Ipswich senior week traditions.

On Wednesday, the fun continues at Kimball Farms, where the seniors will have a huge amount of different activities to fill their day up with. Seniors can find themselves swinging away either at the batting cages or driving range. Mini golf, bummer boats, ziplines, fried food, ice cream and more will all be waiting for the Class of 2019. Later that night, the seniors will be joined by friends and family for the Baccalaureate to celebrate their great academic achievements and everything they have done in high school.

For some people that would be enough, but senior week keeps going with two more days of anticipated fun. Thursday, seniors will enjoy a day of bowling and competing with classmates. After bowling, seniors will head back to the school to watch a slideshow of all the Ipswich seniors growing up. Laughs and maybe even a little tears will be shed, warming the hearts of a few broken friendships that are likely to occur from a competitive day of bowling.

The final day of Senior Week, the seniors will participate in the biggest event that most seniors have been talking about since freshman year. The Hypnotist will be the hyped event of the week. Class Vice-President, Jacob Eliopoulos says that he is “most excited for the hypnotist. After seeing what happened to kids last year I think it’s going be so funny to see kids in our grade do that.” All students are excited for the hypnotist, including Maddie Wilson who explained, “I’m excited for every day of senior week and graduating, but I’m most excited for the hypnotist. I want to go up on stage and be hypnotized. I think it will be so cool. Plus seeing my friends go up on stage will be hilarious.” The hypnotist should be the event of the week and only have more and more underclassmen excited for senior week. The week will end with a few food trucks coming in to our school with a wide variety of food. Seniors will enjoy the final moments together, playing lawn games and soaking up the sun.

This year many students are thrilled that they don’t have to pay for any of the senior week events. Class Vice-President, Jacob Eliopoulos, told me,“This year we are really excited about what we have planned for our seniors. We got the chance to make it very affordable for the students.” Eliopoulos and Wilson were relieved that we were able to get the days for free because they didn’t want to pay for Senior Week, AP Tests, and Senior Prom all so close together. Mrs. Ellrott, one of the Class of 2019 teacher advisors, is “glad to see the large amount of students who are participating this year in Senior Week and excited to see how it turns out.” Mrs. Ellrott, Mrs. McGinley, and our class officers have put a lot of work in this whole year to help the Class of 2019 have a great Senior Week. They have worked hard to raise money for all of us to afford the great activities for Senior Week. The Class of 2019 is leaving high school and soon will all be going on to their own path, and Senior Week will be the best way to come together one last time.