The Increase in Technology and The Effects it Has on Us

Elise Morrow, Journalist

“Early data from a landmark National Institutes of Health (NIH) study, that began in 2018, indicates that children who spent more than two hours a day on screen-time activities scored lower on language and thinking tests, and some children with more than seven hours a day of screen time experienced thinning of the brain’s cortex, the area of the brain related to critical thinking and reasoning.” Now more than ever, technology is very prevalent in our society as simple everyday activities that individuals would complete face to face with others are now done through the use of technology.

Technology has many detrimental health effects, both physical and mental. An article from Habyts, a website that helps to manage screen time, stated that, “Kids spend twice as long playing on screens as they do playing outside.” Many young children are becoming very dependent on technology. They are not creating lasting memories outside and interacting with others. An article from Winchester Hospital explains, “Previous studies have found that high amounts of screen time have been associated with attention problems, school difficulties, sleep and eating disorders, and obesity.”

Now, the recent COVID-19 virus has forced many people to rely on the internet more than ever. Matt Morrow, a sophomore at Saint John’s Prep explained, “I have definitely seen an increase in my use of technology since March of last year. I use my iPad about six hours a day during zooms, but that does not even count the hours I spend on it after school doing my homework.” Not only has Matt’s time on technology increased because of school, but he has more time on his hands which he often uses to connect with his friend through gaming. He adds, “I would also say that I have been playing many more video games since March of last year, because many of my other activities have been canceled due to corona.” With not much to do, many individuals spend their time on technology.

Many businesses are forced to work online now to help limit face to face interactions. These tasks are now completed through a variety of different programs. David Morrow works for Exam Works which is a managed care company specializing in the workers compensation industry. He stated, “Exam Works has recently installed Cisco a camera phone system for work from home situations. We are also working daily with Web-X.” Before March of last year David tried to limit his technology use. He would send emails and talk on the phone, but he is now doing his job almost fully remote through the use of technology. David explained that he spends about 6 or 7 hours a day on technology, between his laptop and phone. Many activities that were done through engaging with others in person are now done through technology. David explained what his business has done. “We have suspended all in-person sales presentations and internal office meetings with groups larger than 6. These meetings are now on Web-X.”

The Corona Virus has forced many of us to increase our use of technology. Through many studies, we have learned that large amounts of time spent on technology each day has very negative effects on our health. Some immediate effects of the use of technology over extended periods of time are eye strains, headaches and grogginess. However, technology can also have a large impact on your mental state. It can cause attention issues, eating problems and affect the way we socialize with others. It is very important to be conscious of your use of technology!