Swimming for Success

Members of last years swim team pose for a picture at the end of the year banquet

The Ipswich High School Swim Team has been around for a long time. Nancy Lindquist, a special education teacher at the Ipswich Middle School, has been the head coach since 2010. Lindquist along with diving coach, Jim Dooner, have lead the team for the past three seasons. This year the captains are seniors: Alison Bouvier, Austin Rubino, and Joseph Spinale. The captains have taken on the role of leading the team. They have organized the swim suits, team apparel, and are also working on team fundraisers.

The team is a little different than in past years. Last year the team had about thirty members. This year, however, there are a total of fifty-one swimmers on the team. Why, you may ask? I asked both the coach and the captains. “The swim team always has always had a positive attitude and I think that’s what draws people to the team. The people that were on the team also did a great job of getting their friends to join as well” said Coach Lindquist. When I asked the captains, I got a similar response. “I feel that people are always looking for a sport to do. Swimming is a great form of exercise so people want to do it. Also, once people are on the team, they push their friends to join the team,” said one captain.

The team’s record last year was two wins and four losses. The difference between last year and this year is that there was about thirty people on the team compared to the fifty that are on the team today. Last year, three of the team’s members placed at the Cape Ann League Championship meet. These swimmers were Ali Bouvier (200 yard Individual Medley), Jackie Bouvier (500 yard Freestyle), and Joseph Spinale (100 yard Backstroke).

Along with many of the returning swimmers, there are new comers to the team. This brings some fresh faces to the team that can help to give the team a boost in morale. A couple of the new members are even club swimmers. This means that they are part of a team outside of the school swim team.

Along with new members, the team will face a new opponent, the Triton Regional High School Swim Team. “New competition always changes up the scene” says the captains. “It adds new people to the mix that you have not swum against.” The Tigers first meet is on 12/16 against Masconomet Regional High School at the Ipswich YMCA.

Along with a strong swim team, the Tigers diving program has done very well. The two returning divers are sophomore: Amelia Young and junior: Tessa Amoroso. They both have been working during the off-season to become the best divers they can be.

The captains and the coaches are ready for a great season. “We hope to do really well this season” said the captains. Overall, the Ipswich High School Swim and Dive team is ready for the season and is excited to see what this year brings. Whether it is new competition or new challenges that they face as a team during the season, they are ready and determined for whatever comes their way.