• "Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students."
The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

The Switch Grub

“Ipswich’s food variety is reflected by its demographics, and it is in need of more diversity,” stated Ipswich resident Harper Rees. Ipswich has evolved heavily since 1764 when it was first founded, and one of the most influential parts of Ipswich is our restaurant scene, but we have yet to see much diversity and variety within our food options.

In comparison to our surrounding towns, Ipswich has a very simple assortment of platters, including mostly a pizza and roast beef food culture. Other North Shore towns like Newburyport, Lynnfield, and Beverly have unique restaurants and different styles of food, such as Indian, Ethiopian, Greek, and Vietnamese. The lack of food diversity limits Ipswich residents’ ability to expand their taste pallet and experience different cultural cuisines. Harper Rees explains that she wishes Ipswich had “Literally anything besides Italian and American”. Ipswich’s downtown is notorious for the multiple restaurants with the same American-Italian menu items, such as Zenos, Ipswich House of Pizza, Pomodori, and Georgia’s.

There have been some great businesses in Ipswich that we have lost such as 5 Corner Deli, Green Grocer, and the beloved Marty’s Donuts. As put by Gardy O’Flynn, who grew up and spent his entire life living in Ipswich, “Marty’s Donuts was a big one for my family and me. We would go there almost every week because they had huge donuts for so cheap.” He also states, “There are a lot of new restaurants that weren’t around when I was growing up here, and a lot of older ones have been replaced several times.”

Many Ipswich locals have favorite restaurants and bar spots that they visit frequently. The Choate Bridge Pub, Mayflower, and the Hart House are some of Ipswich’s “hot spots.” These restaurants can be entirely seen on any Friday night. Mrs. Mcshane says that she loves the Hart House “because of the ambiance in the fall and winter.” The Mayflower is a go-to place for many high school students because of its great food. However, many locals are forced to drive far outside town to places like the Northshore Mall if they want Froyo, Sweet Green, Chipotle, or Chick-fil-A, which are top-rated fast-food locations. Sometimes, when you go to the food court at the mall, you see more Ipswich teenagers than you see walking in downtown Ipswich!

When looking at our neighboring towns, Ipswich’s food scene is a lot more dense. Mrs.McShane, a Lynnfield resident, says there are “mostly chains” in Lynnfield; however, there is still a wide variety of restaurants and a more extensive range of options. Ipswich is known for its historic elements; thus, fast food chains are not welcome by law. Although Ipswich residents are grateful for our small business and family-owned restaurants, they tend to be pricey, and going out of town for an easy, cheap meal frequently is oftentimes excessive and unwanted.

While rich in nostalgia, the culinary scene of Ipswich needs rejuvenation and diversification. As described by residents like Harper Rees and Gardy O’Flynn, there is a desire for more variety in dining options beyond Italian and American cuisine. The loss of beloved establishments like Marty’s Donuts reminds us of the evolving nature of the town’s food scene. While Ipswich boasts charming local favorites such as the Choate Bridge Pub, Hart House, and The Clambox, the absence of diverse culinary experiences necessitates residents to venture outside the town for alternative dining choices. As Ipswich continues to evolve, fostering a more diverse array of restaurants could only enhance the town’s appeal to both residents and visitors.