• "Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students."
The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Spark Innovation & Igniting Joy

A Students Guide to Infusing Energy and Excitement Into Our Small Town

Ipswich has earned a reputation as a place where everyone knows each other, fostering a unique sense of unity and camaraderie.

Students of Ipswich often express a deeper connection to their community. Longtime resident Abbie Wallace reflects on the intimacy of the town: “I love being able to walk or drive around and feel safe and see my peers. Living in California, I was not able to see my friends without driving 30 minutes. Living in Ipswich, seeing and knowing everyone is a really nice feeling.”

The town’s charm lies not only in its genuine relationships, but its picturesque landscape. Being described as a “coastal town” or “a safe and beautiful environment” with a wide range of farms, public trails, and clean beaches available to its community, Ipswich is a great place to live. 

However, some students are left with the question: What else is there to do?

I’ve asked fellow students to describe the current array of activities available to them in our community today. One response being: “Going out to eat, I feel like that’s really the only thing to do in Ipswich.” Someone else said: “There’s fairs, and gatherings, but there is not much else.” With Ipswich being such a small town, teenagers have already experienced all there is to do in Ipswich, and we feel as if we need more; this is something that resonates with the teen population. Teens want something we can have for just us. 

As older students of IHS, the underclassmen have taken over most things or we have already experienced what there is. We established that we need something more age appropriate.

I brainstormed some ideas, food & dining, a  bowling alley, enhancing green spaces, even including community markets and retail. I’ve asked students to pick; overall 75% chose to bring back a bowling alley in town, while the other 25% chose to establish better food & dining.

Students also mention the current activities in Ipswich aren’t “bwell broadcasted to the public very well,” Adding a bowling alley would appeal to the town population, and get the word around.

Not only adding a bowling alley back to town will resonate with families, but also us teens. We would have something new for us that is different from what we have now. The town over the years seems to be less open for change, and we need to fix that.