• "Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students."
The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

The Best of Ipswich

The Best of Ipswich 

Ipswich is a town known for its gorgeous beaches, fresh clams, and historic homes. It is very much a tourist town with attractions such as the Clam Box and Crane Estate bringing in large numbers of travelers who just want to experience the town’s beach charm. However, in any town the locals know about the hidden or unspoken spots where they don’t have to deal with any tourists. 

It’s hard to ignore Ipswich’s beautiful shorelines consisting of green marshes and soft sand, but within the shore line hides one of Ipswichs best spots, Labor in Vain Bridge. Accessible by boat or car, locals flock to this location during high tides in the summer to feel the rush of jumping off the bridge into the salty waters. The bridge is close to the center of town and easy for kids to walk to, making this the perfect place for anyone to spend a nice summer afternoon. 

Many know Ipswich for the infamous Crane Estate. First built in 1928 and then given to the Trustees in 1949, the gorgeous property has been adored for decades. It hosts beautiful weddings and important events that bring together many. However one of their best events they host is the castle concerts on Thursday nights in the summer. Each week the theme varies from Soul City to Beantown Swing. The event costs forty dollars per car or thirty dollars per car if you are a trustee member. The best thing about the concerts are the people it brings together. In recent years, people from towns all over have made the journey to come to the concerts. Families bring food and enjoy picnics while listening to the music and allowing their kids to run and dance around. Teens go with their friends to socialize, dance, and have a good time. Castle concerts first started occurring in the 1950s and will hopefully continue as they are a great source of entertainment and bring the community together. 

While most love the beach during the summer season, during the cooler months you can still enjoy the beach. Gregory Chmura, a teacher at Ipswich High School and a townie who has lived here for over 40 years says one of his favorite spots in Ipswich is: “the hidden dune walk” that’s “along the right side of the visitor parking lot at Crane’s beach.” This is a fantastic trail that runs along the back of Cranes Beach. Chmura recounts many memories exploring the trails and even finding cranberry bogs and collecting the fresh cranberries. There are many other alluring hikes in Ipswich like the Willowdale State Forest. Consisting of over 40 miles of trails, both bikers, hikers, and horseback riders can spend afternoons exploring. Some of the trails even run along the Ipswich River, giving even more beautiful sights. 

The Ipswich River runs throughout the town. The river hosts a variety of marine life as well as creates a great location for many to kayak or Canoe. Foote Brothers Canoe/ Kayak Rental sits along a dam and provides a great location for people to set off and explore the river. This is a great spot to spend any warm day. Even Ipswich Middle School takes advantage of this opportunity as every year the seventh grade goes on field trips to kayak along the river. Jane O’Connell states: “I loved kayaking along the river, it was one of my favorite field trips.” 

Many don’t realize that Ipswich homes some amazing animals. Wolf Hollow is a foundation that is currently housing eight wolves in Ipswich. It is open to the public and tickets cost $17.50 for an hour to learn and see the amazing creatures. 

Ipswich is a small town, housing less than fourteen thousand people. However, with its vast landscape and geographic location, Ipswich is well known for its charm and fluorescent colors in the warmer months and the elegant beauty in the winters.