• "Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students."
The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Do College Acceptance Rates Really Matter?

As the class of 2024 reaches the tail end of their senior year, there seems to be only one thing on their minds: the future. While some people choose to go into a trade or take a gap year, the majority of seniors are going through the grueling and stressful process of college applications. As people start their college searching and are deciding where to go, the question comes up: Do acceptance rates really matter?

The acceptance rate of a college does not necessarily reflect their level of prestige, but more the amount of applicants compared to the amount admitted. “‘A low acceptance rate, along with high scores, grades and other characteristics, indicates inputs, not outputs’” (Kate Sundquist, College Vine). While a lower acceptance rate does indicate a more selective admission process, it does not always lead to superior teaching and opportunities. Instead of fixating on acceptance rates, people would benefit more from considering a wider range of factors to ensure a school is right for them.

There are many factors that go into a college admissions process beyond just the rate of acceptance. The cost of tuition, location, overall quality of education among other things all weigh in heavily during the admissions process. A more prestigious college is not always the best fit. Caragh Coughlin, an Ipswich High School graduate, just finished her first semester at Keene State College. Caragh is majoring in elementary education with a minor in sociology.

When asked how she has been liking life at Keene, Caragh responded, “I love it. I’ve had so much fun meeting new people and living independently.” Caragh also notes that she really enjoys taking classes she is genuinely interested in: “I love all of my classes and that motivates me to do well. The population is around 4,000, so I can connect with my teachers and classmates very easily.” It has been proven that smaller class sizes result in faster and more efficient learning: “A class size of fewer than 20 students often results in more individual attention, increased participation, and better communication between the instructor and students” (Fremont University). When interviewed, Caragh stated that when searching for colleges, the acceptance rate did not matter to her. She was more focused on the tuition and overall quality of the school.

To contrast the opinions from a current college student, I interviewed a current high school senior about their college application experience. Chris Burns applied to nine different schools with acceptance rates ranging from high to low. Looking to major in Business Management, some of Chris’ top schools are UMASS Amherst, CU Boulder, and University of Vermont. When asked if the acceptance rates of schools affected his interest levels in them, Chris responded, “No, I wasn’t necessarily applying to schools because of an acceptance rate; I was applying because I liked them for multiple reasons.” Although acceptance rates were factored into his decision making on where to apply, Chris said it was not his main focus. When Chris was asked if he thought a more prestigious school results in a better education, he said, “I think for some cases, yes. If you’re going to Harvard Law that might make a difference. Besides that, it’s mostly up to you.” In his eyes, the main difference between a school with a lower acceptance rate and a higher one is better connections and possible job opportunities. 

Yes, it is an amazing thing to attend a highly competitive college and receive a high level of education. Despite this, a more distinguished college should not only stick out to someone because of its reputation. There are a multitude of factors that come into play when applying to college, and an esteemed school does not always result in a well rounded college experience. When searching for the college that is best fit for them, students should also consider the population, area, cost and campus life.