• "Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students."
The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Tiger Transcript

Beneath the Surface of Small Town Life

Walking into Ipswich High School, we’re enveloped by the buzz of gossip to our right and whispers to our left. Moments of resilience amidst particular challenges have woven themselves into the fabric of our town, shaping not just our shared experiences, but also our perceptions of the school system, commonwealth, and the individuals within it. Let’s take a closer look at what our fellow peers have to say about life in Ipswich. 

The “everyone knows everyone” phenomenon in our town sparks a kaleidoscope of opinions, particularly regarding invasions of privacy. Senior Maddie Pekrul mentions that she appreciates the closeness of our town and how “It makes us all feel like family.” Senior Jane O’Connell takes a different approach, critiquing the high level of parent involvement, suggesting that “The total involvement of parents with their children makes many things in Ipswich very toxic. Many parents who went to Ipswich as kids still live here and are very involved with their kids’ lives.” Jane also shares that because of this environment, “[her] and others act with caution in fear of being talked about.” Jane’s cautionary tale of navigating the town’s social landscape is definitely one to pay attention to.

Seniors Brooke Bodwell and Sophia Dalton shed light on the powerful grip that gossip has on our community. According to Brooke, “Gossip ruins/runs this town. Everyone is very closed off and often does not open up to new people or possibilities. [She] tries not to contribute or spread the gossip, but mainly just sits back and listens to it.” Similarly, Sophia agrees and remarks that she is “just very careful about who [she] can and cannot say certain things to. It’s something [she’s] learned and will continue to learn throughout the years.” Senior Annika Johnson’s wise counsel serves as a beacon to help us navigate this slippery slope, remarking that “It’s always good to remember to know that anything you say will likely be shared with everyone.” Traversing Ipswich’s social scene requires both caution and grace. 

As we dive deeper into the intricacy of our town’s dynamics, the influence of our close-knit community on individual identity becomes ever more apparent. Senior Kayley Fantasia shares her observations on this matter, claiming that “It causes people’s opinions to be pretty set in stone. There are many cliques and, therefore, not always much room for meeting new people; this is especially true in high school. However, closeness also makes day-to-day tasks interesting. You never know who you’re going to run into and catch up with, or who you’re going to wave to on the side of the road.” Once again, the topic of cliques arises. Sophia Dalton shares, “I will say the “cliques” are not my favorite things ever; it’s hard to branch out when nobody else is willing to change things up. It’s like people are stuck.” Amidst these cliques and complexities are the daily encounters and connectors that reflect the essence of our communal unity.

Despite varying perspectives on societal conflict, one thing remains unanimous: Ipswich is undoubtedly a beautiful town. Sarah Eliot shares, “Our nature is so beautiful; from the marshes to the beach to the woods, there is so much open space.” However, winter is a time that we all dread. Ipswich can get really boring, really fast. Kaley Fantasia suggests that Ipswich “could benefit from a community space in which people can hang out without spending money. Going to Zumi’s or a restaurant (which we barely have anyway) can get expensive, and places like the beach are only open seasonally.” Lucas Wilt shares that “[he] talked with people who grew up here in the 80s and 90s and that there was all sorts of entertainment in Ipswich, like a bowling alley and movie theater. Stuff like that would give kids more things to do.” Lucas also shares that because of the lack of something to do, this causes “small events to get blown up because [the community has] nothing better to talk about.” After considering the viewpoints of numerous people, it seems evident that there is a consensus that has been reached: a bowling alley is what Ipswich needs. In my opinion, it’s a suggestion worth considering. 

We’ve experienced our fair share of ups and downs, and many of us eagerly anticipate life beyond the confines of Ipswich’s bubble. Senior Chloe French remarks that she “will miss [her] friends and [the] close relationships with them. [She] will not miss the amount of gossip that goes around in school.” Similarly, Lucas Wilt will “miss the area and some of the people; [he] won’t miss being bored every weekend.” Many of us are ready to close the door on Ipswich and embrace new beginnings, but not for Joey Powers. He touches on his sentimental connection to our community and remarks, “It’s [his] hometown, and it will always be [his] hometown.” Meanwhile, others are considering what some may call a full-circle moment, Sarah Eliot shares, “I think it is a great place to return to and possibly raise a family.” It is apparent that Ipswich signifies something different to each individual, making that diversity of opinion part of its charm. 

As seniors, we are preparing to close this chapter. Standing on the precipice of change, contemplating our imminent departure from Ipswich. A myriad of emotions swirl within us-nostalgia and anticipation for the adventures that await us. Whether we choose to embrace or critique this small town, it has undeniably influenced who we are as people.