Graduation Thoughts

Nikki Pignone

FullSizeRender-2

High school graduation is a huge milestone in everyone’s lives. For most it means change is coming, from moving away to college and living on your own for the first time to working full time at a job in a field you are more interested in. Everyone’s reactions and emotions towards this huge change in their lives are very different. For some, the thought of being done with high school is nothing but exciting; others feel too nervous for what is to come to feel that excitement constantly.

When asked “How do you feel about graduating high school?”,  seniors had very different responses. Carly Parker, who is going to school to study music and art in the fall, is nothing but excited. Her response to the question was “I have been waiting and dreaming of the day I graduate high school since freshman year.  I cannot wait to learn about things that I am interested in and have new experiences at college living on my own and for the rest of my life after that. So I am very excited to finish.”

When asked the same question, Sarah Spencer, who is going to study education in the fall, responded similarly. Her response was “I am excited to be able to move on and get to study something I know I will enjoy, but it will be different and even a little hard to not be seeing all of the same people and all of my friends I grew up with every single day.”

It seems that most people are excited about high school being over and graduating itself, but the more nerve wrecking part is the thought of making new friends and starting over in a new environment.  One senior responded, “I am actually sad for this part of my life to be over. I have met some amazing people and have had some great teachers who I don’t want to loose contact with, but I am afraid it is inevitable. I wish I had more time to spend here with those people,. I am sad to see it end. I hopefully can take part of my life to go back and give students that same kind of experience and love of school that some of my teachers gave me.”