The student news site of Ipswich High School

Tiger Transcript

• August 31Welcome Back to the 2017-2018 School Year!

Moral Clauses in Sports

imageIn recent years some professional athletes have ignored the morals clause in their contract. Some of them were accused of domestic violence and received light punishments. This is becoming unacceptable because having a morals clause in the contract is like a hand book of what to do and what not to do. Some organizations took the proper precautions, but some just let these incidents slip under the rug.

According to the US’s legal definition , “A morals clause is a provision in a contract or official document that prohibits certain behavior in a person’s private life. They deal with behavior such as sexual acts and drug use. Morals clauses are included today in certain contracts of public figures, such as athletes, actors/actresses, and others.” In a recent interview with Mr. Gallagher (IHS athletic director), he talked about the importance of moral clauses, “Moral clauses are important to make sure people who are involved in athletics are held to a high standard. Whether it is a coach, player, administrator, parent, spectator, or official, all of us have a duty and responsibility to make sure we represent Ipswich HS, the Cape Ann League, the MIAA, the Community, etc. in an appropriate way.” Ipswich High School students have a moral clause to abide to; this is the Student Handbook. This document lays out what students are allowed to do and what students are not allowed to do.
Moral clauses are especially important in sports, especially professional sports. This is because most athletes, “They are role models.” Gallagher says, “They are idolized and they are very visible. Impressionable kids look up to them. Sometimes it seems as if the money a professional athlete makes goes to their head and they end up making bad decisions and choices. For the same reason high school and college athletes are held to a higher standard, so should pro athletes.”
Professional sports have moral clauses. According to a sports law insider, “Each of the four major team sports leagues in North America include ’morals clauses’ in the standard player contracts in their collective bargaining agreements. Section 11 of the NFL standard player contract, for instance, provides that ’if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract.’ Moreover, the NFL Personal Conduct Policy authorizes the NFL Commissioner ’to impose discipline as warranted’ when a player fails to conduct himself ‘in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful . . . even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.’” In some cases, unfortunately, athletes decide to not make the best decisions and contradict their moral contracts. For example, Adrian Peterson, of the Minnesota Vikings, beat his 4-year-old son and only was suspended six games by the NFL. His actions could be considered to be a case of domestic violence. A Prosecutor states that, “Domestic Violence is a violent confrontation between family or household members involving physical harm, sexual assault, or fear of physical harm.” Mr. Gallagher has a strong opinion on domestic violence as he says, “My opinion is it seems to be on the rise and it is troubling to me. I’m not sure if it has truly risen, or just gained more media attention, but it is certainly prevalent right now. Any form of violence is disturbing to me.” Locally, Senior Captain of the basketball team, Peter Pappas stated in an interview. “I think the punishment should be longer than it usually is. You should be banned from the sport you’re playing.” Clearly Peterson didn’t get evoked from the game of football which is saddening because he is a public figure and it shows kids that he got away with a crime.
What is more troubling is that some punishments are not equally in severity. A perfect example of this would be Greg Hardy, a Carolina Panther who beat his girlfriend. He was suspended ten games by the NFL. When he appealed his suspension it was reduced to four game. Tom Brady allegedly deflated some footballs and got the same suspension that Hardy got, even though Hardy’s actions were much more severe. When asked whether professional sports do enough to enforce the rules among athletes, Gallagher answered, “No. I think it has been very inequitable the way professional sports organizations have treated different athletes for rule and/or other violations. I would like to see them standardize punishments and also make sure the punishments are not too harsh or lenient. I am all for looking at each situation independently, but there should be some standardization involved.” Stemming off these topics, professional sports can and should strengthen their punishments. As Mr. Gallagher said, “In some instances, yes. As previously mentioned, I think punishments need to be standardized and appropriate for the violation that has occurred. Some leagues and organizations do this well, and others not so well.” Clearly, the NFL does not do this well. This doesn’t put a good impression on younger kids because it shows that deflating a football and beating a women have the same punishment, but it should be much worse for Hardy.
Moral clauses are very important once men and women graduate college. Especially those who are going to be professional athletes because they are looked at as role models to younger children. With actions like Peterson and Hardy, it might show the next generation that because you have a lot of money you can get away with anything. That idea needs to be erased from people’s minds because that’s not the case. No one is above the law.

22 Comments

22 Responses to “Moral Clauses in Sports”

1. Janice skelton on April 9th, 2016 6:59 am

So true!

[Reply]

2. Emily Skelton on April 11th, 2016 8:45 pm

This is a great article, we need more articles like this and less about all of the athlete superstars who just break the law and get away with it.

[Reply]

3. Emilee Kaufman on April 11th, 2016 10:11 pm

Great piece – Thanks for sharing!

[Reply]

4. Emily McWilliam on April 12th, 2016 7:11 am

I agree, no one is above the law.

[Reply]

5. Taylor on April 12th, 2016 8:02 am

Great article!

[Reply]

6. Lai on April 12th, 2016 9:29 am

Amen!

[Reply]

Hunter Reply:

I like this article

[Reply]

Hunter Reply:

Good job

[Reply]

7. Sydney Baker on April 12th, 2016 11:02 am

Fantastic article

[Reply]

8. Mr. L on April 12th, 2016 12:06 pm

Good Job

[Reply]

9. Aengus Muldoon on April 12th, 2016 12:13 pm

I completely agree players should behave and suck up just do you job especially if you are a professional athlete

Sick article 5/5 stars

[Reply]

10. Diane Tarr on April 12th, 2016 12:14 pm

I agree with your point. Domestic violence especially should have strong penalties.

[Reply]

11. Aiden on April 12th, 2016 12:16 pm

I agree with all of this because they us every good examples and I really liked Peterson but when he did I really didn’t like him anymore

[Reply]

12. Jack P on April 12th, 2016 12:19 pm

I agree and this article is also well written

[Reply]

13. blake on April 12th, 2016 12:20 pm

Nice article

[Reply]

14. Lisa Ellrott on April 12th, 2016 12:22 pm

Excellent article, Vince! It was clearly carefully researched and so well written! Much food for thought on the current state of our country’s professional sports organizations’ policies.

[Reply]

15. Maddie on April 12th, 2016 12:23 pm

Great evidence! I like how you compared it to football.

[Reply]

16. Dan on April 12th, 2016 12:44 pm

Great article Vince!

[Reply]

17. Andrea Ebinger on April 12th, 2016 12:46 pm

Thank you for this article. It is interesting to compare some of the cases and conclusions reached, regarding the application of the morals clause in sports. It is an important issue, and if common sense doesn’t seem enough, having it in writing helps to establish a reasonable standard. It would be ideal if the people responsible were fair in the judgement of penalties; as in the Tom Brady alleged deflation and domestic abuse!

[Reply]

18. Susan on April 12th, 2016 2:38 pm

Nice job on the article, and so true!

[Reply]

19. Christina on April 14th, 2016 3:16 pm

Great job!

[Reply]

20. Russell paster on April 14th, 2016 3:26 pm

Nice article Vince

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Features

Senior Slide Hits Home Early

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Features

A New Sheriff in Town: Getting to Know the Man Behind Our Education

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Opinion

Mario Kart: The GOAT of video games?

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Features

Around the World in a Big Blue Bus

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Health

A New Outlook On Cancer Research

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Showcase

Life Long Bonds

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Showcase

Close Up Washington D.C.

• Moral Clauses in Sports

News

Dakota Access Pipeline

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Opinion

Around the World

• Moral Clauses in Sports

Health

Hope and Faith Go Hand and Hand

Moral Clauses in Sports